YMCA of Northern Alberta
Has the following summer position(s) available from approximately June 18 - August 29, 2014 for all YMCA of Northern Alberta Centres (Castle Downs, Don Wheaton, Jamie Platz, William Lustky, and the YMCA Welcome VIllage).
Specialty Day Camp Counsellor: Culinary DC_S_C
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is seeking a small group of talented individuals. Do you know your way around a kitchen? The YMCA wants you! As a YMCA Specialty Counsellor you will help campers bring out their inner chef in the kitchen. Facilitate daily cooking sessions with campers, explore food through games, recipe and meal planning, and basic cooking.
Kids in the Kitchen (6-9 years)
Y-Chefs (9-12 years)
- Attend all Day Camp training and other YMCA training sessions as required.
- Lead day camp programming: maintain attendance and program records, plan and direct lesson plans and program activities, and prepare and distribute evaluations of programs.
- Active supervision of campers and volunteers during programming; manage camper behavior in accordance with the Day Camp Behavior Management Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure all necessary safety documents are accurately and effectively completed. Take necessary action to ensure a safe environment for all campers, volunteers and staff.
- Provide opportunities for campers to learn and develop in spirit, mind and body.
- Deliver high quality services through excellent relationships with campers, parents and YMCA staff.
- Demonstrate and promote a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values and the YMCA programs and services and role model a personal commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
- Ensure campers develop comfort/familiarity in a large variety of culinary activities and develop literacy and vocabulary related to these areas through hands on interactive activities.
- Lead campers in daily physical activity and physical literacy skill development.
- Expose campers to introductory first aid.
- Ensure each camper receives a YMCA positive progress report.
- Education/Certifications/Credentials/Professional Registration
- Currently a post-secondary student in Education, Science, Culinary Arts or related field.
- Standard First Aid, CPR-Level C, and WHMIS Certification
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Police Information Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Previous camp counsellor experience an asset.
- Cooking experience an asset.
- Teaching or lesson plan skills an asset.
- Basic knowledge of cooking and baking.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and demonstrated leadership skills.
- Developed coaching and team building skills.
Applications will remain open until June 6, 2014
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include which location you prefer..
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is an inclusive, charitable organization that values diversity.