Have the following positions available from June 22 – September 4, 2015. There is 1-5 position(s) available at each of our five of our Edmonton locations (Castle Downs Family YMCA, Don Wheaton Family YMCA, Jamie Platz Family YMCA, William Lustky Family YMCA and YMCA Welcome Village). Successful candidates will have opportunities for permanent casual or full time employment (see employment term options on page 2).
Specialty Day Camp Counsellor: Aquatics
Would you prefer life in the water over dry land? The YMCA of Northern Alberta is seeking individuals with a passion for aquatics sports and activities. As a YMCA Specialty Counselor, you will provide campers with daily swimming, exciting water activities, and special events that will help campers grow comfortable around water and expose them to all things aquatics.
Aqua Explorers (6-9 years)
Aqua-sports (9-12 years)
· Attend all Day Camp training and other YMCA training sessions as required.
· Lead day camp programming: maintain attendance and program records, plan and direct lesson plans and program activities, and prepare and distribute evaluations of programs.
· Active supervision of campers and volunteers during programming; manage camper behavior in accordance with the Day Camp Behavior Management Policies and Procedures.
· Ensure all necessary safety documents are accurately and effectively completed. Take necessary action to ensure a safe environment for all campers, volunteers and staff.
· Provide opportunities for campers to learn and develop in spirit, mind and body.
· Deliver high quality services through excellent relationships with campers, parents and YMCA staff.
· Demonstrate and promote a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values and the YMCA programs and services and role model a personal commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
o Ensure campers develop comfort/familiarity in a large variety of water-based activities.
o Educate campers on physical literacy related to Aquatics.
o Role model good sportsmanship and encourage and teach campers to practice sportsmanlike conduct.
o Ensure each camper receives a YMCA positive progress report.
o Expose campers to aquatic leadership opportunities (lifeguarding, instructing, etc).
o Introduce campers to a variety of aquatic related sports and activities at an introductory level that may include: Synchronized Swimming, Water Polo, Competitive Swimming, First Aid & CPR, Aquatic Fitness, Lifeguarding Skills, and Underwater Hockey.
o Role model, promote and facilitate water safety awareness and education: Swim to Survive® program, ice safety, boating safety, waterfront safety.
o Facilitate Aquatic based events such as water Olympics and other water games.
· Education/Certifications/Credentials/Professional Registration
- Currently a post-secondary student in Education, Physical Education, Recreation, or related field.
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C, Child Welfare & Police Security Clearance, and WHMIS Certification
- National Coaching Certification Swim Level 1 (NCCP) certification an asset.
- *NCCP FMS Training required (we will provide this training before summer camp starts)
- Aquatics Certifications considered an asset: National Lifeguard Service (NLS), Oxygen Administration, YMCA Swim Instructor (YSI) and/or Water Safety Instructor (WSI), Aquatic Emergency Care (AEC), Life Saving Society Swim Instructor.
- Experience in playing team structured sports.
- Previous experience leading Aquatic classes an asset.
Previous camp counsellor experience an asset.
- Knowledgeable in water safety, boating, safe water play, etc.
- Ability to lead Aquatic instruction and programming.
Introductory synchronized swimming skills an asset.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Developed coaching and team building skills.
1) Any of the locations below
2) Castle Downs Family YMCA (11510 153 Avenue)
3) Don Wheaton Family YMCA (10211 102 Avenue)
4) Jamie Platz Family YMCA (7121 178 Street)
5) William Lutsky Family YMCA (1975 111 Street)
6) YMCA Welcome Village Family Resource Centre (9538 103A Avenue)
Employment Term Options:
a) Seasonal Summer Employment - Working full-time hours June 22-September 4, 2015
b) Seasonal Casual and Full time Employment - working casual hours starting immediately and full-time hours from June 22 – September 4, 2015
c) Permanent Casual and Full time employment - working casual hours starting immediately, full-time hours from June 22 – September 4, 2015 and continuing working casual hours permanently after September 8, 2015 in YMCA Sport Programs during the school year
d) Permanent Part time OR Full Time Employment – working full time or part time during the school year in our Child Care Program (Before and After School Care or Early Years) and full time Summer Employment in Summer Camp Program
Applications will remain open until June 1, 2015
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include which location you prefer and what employment terms you prefer.
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is an inclusive, charitable organization that values diversity.