YMCA of Northern Alberta
Has the following summer position(s) available from approximately June 18 - August 29, 2014 at four of our Edmonton Locations (Castle Downs Family YMCA, Don Wheaton Family YMCA, Jamie Platz Family YMCA, William Lustky Family YMCA)
Specialty Day Camp Counsellor: Aquatics DC_SC_A
Would you prefer life in the water over dry land? The YMCA of Northern Alberta is seeking individuals with a passion for aquatics sports and activities. As a YMCA Specialty Counselor, you will provide campers with daily swimming, exciting water activities, and special events that will help campers grow comfortable around water and expose them to all things aquatics.
Aqua Explorers (6-9 years)
Aqua-sports (9-12 years)
- Attend all Day Camp training and other YMCA training sessions as required.
- Lead day camp programming: maintain attendance and program records, plan and direct lesson plans and program activities, and prepare and distribute evaluations of programs.
- Active supervision of campers and volunteers during programming; manage camper behavior in accordance with the Day Camp Behavior Management Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure all necessary safety documents are accurately and effectively completed. Take necessary action to ensure a safe environment for all campers, volunteers and staff.
- Provide opportunities for campers to learn and develop in spirit, mind and body.
- Deliver high quality services through excellent relationships with campers, parents and YMCA staff.
- Demonstrate and promote a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values and the YMCA programs and services and role model a personal commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
- Ensure campers develop comfort/familiarity in a large variety of water-based activities.
- Educate campers on physical literacy related to Aquatics.
- Role model good sportsmanship and encourage and teach campers to practice sportsmanlike conduct.
- Ensure each camper receives a YMCA positive progress report.
- Expose campers to aquatic leadership opportunities (lifeguarding, instructing, etc).
- Introduce campers to a variety of aquatic related sports and activities at an introductory level that may include: Synchronized Swimming, Water Polo, Competitive Swimming, First Aid & CPR, Aquatic Fitness, Lifeguarding Skills, and Underwater Hockey.
- Role model, promote and facilitate water safety awareness and education: Swim to Survive® program, ice safety, boating safety, waterfront safety.
- Facilitate Aquatic based events such as water Olympics and other water games.
- Education/Certifications/Credentials/Professional Registration
- Currently a post-secondary student in Education, Physical Education, Recreation, or related field.
- Standard First Aid, CPR-Level C, and WHMIS Certification
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Police Information Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search.
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) certification an asset.
- Aquatics Certifications considered an asset: National Lifeguard Service (NLS), Oxygen Administration, YMCA Swim Instructor (YSI) and/or Water Safety Instructor (WSI), Aquatic Emergency Care (AEC), Life Saving Society Swim Instructor.
- Experience in playing team structured sports.
- Previous experience leading Aquatic classes an asset.
- Previous camp counsellor experience an asset.
- Knowledgeable in water safety, boating, safe water play, etc.
- Ability to lead Aquatic instruction and programming.
- Introductory synchronized swimming skills an asset.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Developed coaching and team building skills.
Applications will remain open until June 6, 2014
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include which location you would prefer.
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is an inclusive, charitable organization that values diversity.