Have the following positions available from June 22 – September 4, 2015. There is 1-5 position(s) available at each of our five of our Edmonton locations (Castle Downs Family YMCA, Don Wheaton Family YMCA, Jamie Platz Family YMCA, William Lustky Family YMCA and YMCA Welcome Village). Successful candidates will have opportunities for permanent casual or full time employment (see employment term options on page 2).
Specialty Day Camp Counsellor: Sports
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is on the hunt for sports enthusiasts; you not only enjoy participating and watching sports, but you love to teach others about them! As a YMCA Specialty Sports Counselor, you will help campers improve sports skills and fitness by playing a wide-range of sports such as soccer, floor hockey, basketball, volleyball, baseball, swimming, badminton, racquetball, camp games and more.
Sports of All Sorts (6-9 years)*NCCP FMS Training required (we will provide this training before summer camp starts)
Y-World of Sports (9-12 years) *NCCP FMS Training required (we will provide this training before summer camp starts)
· Attend all Day Camp training and other YMCA training sessions as required.
· Lead day camp programming: maintain attendance and program records, plan and direct lesson plans and program activities, and prepare and distribute evaluations of programs.
· Active supervision of campers and volunteers during programming; manage camper behavior in accordance with the Day Camp Behavior Management Policies and Procedures.
· Ensure all necessary safety documents are accurately and effectively completed. Take necessary action to ensure a safe environment for all campers, volunteers and staff.
· Provide opportunities for campers to learn and develop in spirit, mind and body.
· Deliver high quality services through excellent relationships with campers, parents and YMCA staff.
· Demonstrate and promote a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values and the YMCA programs and services and role model a personal commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
· Weekly Objectives:
o Facilitate games that introduce and educate campers on selected sports.
o Assist campers in learning about physical literacy and developing agility. Build and develop basic sports skills including: hand eye coordination, shooting, passing, strength, stamina, and endurance.
o Role model good sportsmanship and encourage and teach campers to practice sportsmanlike conduct.
o Integrate an international focus on various sports outside of North America.
o Lead campers in daily physical activity and physical literacy skill development.
o Plan, organize, and facilitate a guest speaker and/or field trip each week.
o Ensure each camper receives a YMCA positive progress report.
o Facilitate introductory dry land and group fitness training.
· Education/Certifications/Credentials/Professional Registration
- Currently a post-secondary student in Education, Physical Education, Recreation, Personal Fitness Training, or related field.
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C, Child Welfare & Police Security Clearance, and WHMIS Certification
- National Coaching Certification Level 1 (NCCP) certification required for Y-World of Sports Camp (ages 9-12), for Sports all Sorts (ages 6-9) certification will be considered an asset but not required.
- Experience in playing team structured sports.
- Coaching and or leading group activities will be considered an asset.
- Previous camp counsellor experience an asset.
- Knowledge of sports rules and game play.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Developed coaching and team building skills.
1) Any of the locations below
2) Castle Downs Family YMCA (11510 153 Avenue)
3) Don Wheaton Family YMCA (10211 102 Avenue)
4) Jamie Platz Family YMCA (7121 178 Street)
5) William Lutsky Family YMCA (1975 111 Street)
6) YMCA Welcome Village Family Resource Centre (9538 103A Avenue)
Employment Term Options:
a) Seasonal Summer Employment - working full-time hours June 22-September 4, 2015
b) Seasonal Casual and Full time Employment - working casual hours starting immediately and full-time hours from June 22 – September 4, 2015
c) Permanent Casual and Full time employment - working casual hours starting immediately, full-time hours from June 22 – September 4, 2015 and continuing working casual hours permanently after September 8, 2015 in YMCA Sport Programs during the school year
d) Permanent Part time OR Full Time Employment – working full time or part time during the school year in our Child Care Program (Before and After School Care or Early Years) and full time Summer Employment in Summer Camp Program
Applications will remain open until June 1, 2015
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include which location you prefer and what employment terms you prefer.
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is an inclusive, charitable organization that values