YMCA of Northern Alberta
Has the following summer position(s) available from approximately June 18 - August 29, 2014 at four of our Edmonton locations (Castle Downs Family YMCA, Don Wheaton Family YMCA, Jamie Platz Family YMCA, William Lustky Family YMCA)
Specialty Day Camp Counsellor: Sports DC_SC_S
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is on the hunt for sports enthusiasts; you not only enjoy participating and watching sports, but you love to teach others about them! As a YMCA Specialty Sports Counselor, you will help campers improve sports skills and fitness by playing a wide-range of sports such as soccer, floor hockey, basketball, baseball, swimming, badminton, racquetball, camp games and more.
Sports of All Sorts (6-9 years)*NCCP Certification considered an asset
Y-World of Sports (9-12 years) *NCCP Certification required
- Attend all Day Camp training and other YMCA training sessions as required.
- Lead day camp programming: maintain attendance and program records, plan and direct lesson plans and program activities, and prepare and distribute evaluations of programs.
- Active supervision of campers and volunteers during programming; manage camper behavior in accordance with the Day Camp Behavior Management Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure all necessary safety documents are accurately and effectively completed. Take necessary action to ensure a safe environment for all campers, volunteers and staff.
- Provide opportunities for campers to learn and develop in spirit, mind and body.
- Deliver high quality services through excellent relationships with campers, parents and YMCA staff.
- Demonstrate and promote a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values and the YMCA programs and services and role model a personal commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
- Weekly Objectives:
- Facilitate games that introduce and educate campers on selected sports.
- Assist campers in learning about physical literacy and developing agility. Build and develop basic sports skills including: hand eye coordination, shooting, passing, strength, stamina, and endurance.
- Role model good sportsmanship and encourage and teach campers to practice sportsmanlike conduct.
- Integrate an international focus on various sports outside of North America.
- Lead campers in daily physical activity and physical literacy skill development.
- Plan, organize, and facilitate a guest speaker and/or field trip each week.
- Ensure each camper receives a YMCA positive progress report.
- Facilitate introductory dry land and group fitness training.
- Education/Certifications/Credentials/Professional Registration
- Currently a post-secondary student in Education, Physical Education, Recreation, Personal Fitness Training, or related field.
- Standard First Aid, CPR-Level C, and WHMIS Certification
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Police Information Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search.
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) certification required for Y-World of Sports Camp (ages 9-12), for Sports all Sorts (ages 6-9) certification will be considered an asset but not required.
- Experience in playing team structured sports.
- Coaching and or leading group activities will be considered an asset.
- Previous camp counsellor experience an asset.
- Knowledge of sports rules and game play.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Developed coaching and team building skills.
Applications will remain open until June 6, 2014
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include which location you prefer..
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is an inclusive, charitable organization that values