YMCA of Northern Alberta
Has the following summer position(s) available from approximately June 21 - August 30, 2013 for all YMCA of Northern Alberta Health and Wellness Centres (Castle Downs Family YMCA, Don Wheaton Family YMCA, Jamie Platz Family YMCA, William Lustky Family YMCA)
Specialty Day Camp Counsellor: Sports DC_SC_S
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is on the hunt for sports enthusiasts; you not only enjoy participating and watching sports, but you love to teach others about them! As a YMCA Specialty Sports Counselor, you will help campers improve sports skills and fitness by playing a wide-range of sports such as soccer, floor hockey, basketball, baseball, swimming, badminton, racquetball, camp games and more.
Sports of All Sorts (6-9 years)*NCCP Certification considered an asset
Y-World of Sports (9-12 years) *NCCP Certification required
- Attend all Day Camp training and other YMCA training sessions as required.
- Lead day camp programming: maintain attendance and program records, plan and direct lesson plans and program activities, and prepare and distribute evaluations of programs.
- Active supervision of campers and volunteers during programming; manage camper behavior in accordance with the Day Camp Behavior Management Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure all necessary safety documents are accurately and effectively completed. Take necessary action to ensure a safe environment for all campers, volunteers and staff.
- Provide opportunities for campers to learn and develop in spirit, mind and body.
- Deliver high quality services through excellent relationships with campers, parents and YMCA staff.
- Demonstrate and promote a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values and the YMCA programs and services and role model a personal commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
- Weekly Objectives:
- Facilitate games that introduce and educate campers on selected sports.
- Assist campers in learning about physical literacy and developing agility. Build and develop basic sports skills including: hand eye coordination, shooting, passing, strength, stamina, and endurance.
- Role model good sportsmanship and encourage and teach campers to practice sportsmanlike conduct.
- Integrate an international focus on various sports outside of North America.
- Lead campers in daily physical activity and physical literacy skill development.
- Plan, organize, and facilitate a guest speaker and/or field trip each week.
- Ensure each camper receives a YMCA positive progress report.
- Facilitate introductory dry land and group fitness training.
- Education/Certifications/Credentials/Professional Registration
- Currently a post-secondary student in Education, Physical Education, Recreation, Personal Fitness Training, or related field.
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C, Child Welfare & Police Security Clearance, and WHMIS Certification
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) certification required for Y-World of Sports Camp (ages 9-12), for Sports all Sorts (ages 6-9) certification will be considered an asset but not required.
- Experience in playing team structured sports.
- Coaching and or leading group activities will be considered an asset.
- Previous camp counsellor experience an asset.
- Knowledge of sports rules and game play.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Developed coaching and team building skills.
Applications will remain open until May 5, 2013
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include which location you prefer.
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is an inclusive, charitable organization that values