Bill Ress YMCA
Has the following full-time contract position from August 1, 2013 until February 2014 available:
Youth Advisor (Alternative Suspension)
The YMCA is a charitable, mission-based organization dedicated to the development of thousands of people in spirit, mind and body. The YMCA of Northern Alberta is seeking a motivated individual that will provide direct service delivery to the participants of the Alternative Suspension Program. The Youth Advisor is responsible for the effective caseload management, supportive counselling, and facilitating educational workshops to program participants (youth ages 13-19). The program is intended to successfully reintegrate suspended and/or temporary expelled students back into the classroom, as well as to address, at the same time, other behavioural difficulties that place these youth at risk of delinquency. At all times this individual will demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills with vulnerable populations who face personal and socioeconomic challenges.
Salary: Pro-rated based on an annual starting salary of $32,900
- Plan, implement, and evaluate programs within YMCA guidelines and contracted performance measures. Recommend quality improvement ideas and implement approved changes to programs and services.
- Research, develop and/or acquire relevant program materials, manuals and tools to meet group and individual learning needs. Contribute data and ideas to program proposal development as required.
- Develop, facilitate and evaluate program workshops.
- Develop, monitor and evaluate Individual Action Plans for each participant. Provide one to one support to participants on planning and achieving personal, social, employment and education goals in a timely basis as defined by level of need.
- Advocate on the behalf of participants with parent/guardians, schools, community agencies and others involved in their lives.Develop and maintain appropriate program administration systems in accordance with the YMCA and funder standards. Maintain current statistical, outcome and anecdotal information regarding participants and the program. Collect statistical information and outcome data and participate in annual program and service delivery reviews.
- Establish effective community relations relevant to the program. Market and promote programs to achieve programmatic and financial targets. Assist in planning and implementing special program events and approved promotional and marketing strategies.
- Contribute as a member of the staff team in the operation of the centre, and complete other duties as assigned.
- Assume complete responsibility for the entire facility operation while on assigned Manager on Duty shifts (includes emergencies, evictions, programming concerns, staff relations, etc.)
- Demonstrate and promote a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values and the YMCA programs and services.
- Education/Certifications/Credentials/Professional Registration
- University Degree in Human Services or related education.
- Annual registration in a professional organization as required by law.
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C, Child Welfare & Police Security Clearance and WHMIS Certification
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention and Suicide Intervention Certification preferred.
- Valid driver’s license, clear driver’s abstract, and access to a vehicle.
- 2 years of experience working directly with youth placed at risk.
- Experience working with cultural groups, high needs and marginalized populations.
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and team skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Working knowledge of group facilitation, individual assessment, program planning and promotion, outcome evaluation, marketing and public relations.
- Beginner knowledge in supportive counselling skills.
- Knowledge of related community, education, youth and human services resources.
- Sensitive to and demonstrated knowledge of dealing with the needs of participants from different cultural and racial backgrounds.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Windows.
Applications will remain open until July 20, 2013
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is an inclusive, charitable organization that values diversity.