Bill Rees YMCA
Has the following contract position working full-time until July 2015 available:
Employment Counsellor BR_EC
The YMCA is a charitable, mission-based organization dedicated to the development of thousands of people in spirit, mind and body. The YMCA of Northern Alberta is seeking a motivated individual that will provide direct service delivery to the participants of the Bridging the Gap for Youth pre-employment program. The Employment Counsellor is responsible for the effective caseload management, supportive counselling and employment placement of program participants. At all times, the Counsellor will demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills with vulnerable populations who face employment insecurity and related challenges.
Salary: Pro-rated based on the salary of $33,723/annually
- Provide employment and educational counselling, direction and moral support to participants.
- Advocate on the behalf of participants with parent/guardians, schools, community agencies and others involved in their lives. Facilitate employment placements and carry out caseload management.
- Assist the Employment Program Facilitator in facilitating employment workshops.
- Complete evaluation, record keeping and administrative tasks as required.
- Establish effective community relations relevant to the program, and market and promote the program to achieve service and financial targets. Liaise with community programs and services and promote YMCA programs.
- Support and supervise volunteers and placement students in accordance with systems and guidelines established by the YMCA.
- Demonstrate and promote a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values and the YMCA programs and services.
- Education/Certifications/Credentials/Professional Registration
- University Degree in Psychology, Human Services, Education or equivalent
- Level B Assessor for Employment and Career Assessment Tools (preferred)
- Standard First Aid, CPR-Level C, and WHMIS Certification
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Police Information Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search, and a current and satisfactory Child Welfare Intervention Record Check.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention and Suicide Intervention Certification (not required for hire)
- Working directly with youth placed at risk.
- Facilitating career development and youth employment.
- Working with cultural groups, high needs and marginalized populations.
- Organizational and time management skills, excellent written and oral communication, and team work skills.
- Working knowledge of group facilitation, individual assessment, program planning and promotion, outcome evaluation, marketing and public relations.
- Beginner knowledge in supportive counselling skills.
- Knowledge of related community, education, youth and human services resources.
- Sensitive to and demonstrated knowledge of dealing with the needs of participants from different cultural and racial backgrounds.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Windows.
Applications will remain open until suitable candidate is found.
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is an inclusive, charitable organization that values diversity.