YMCA Association Services
Senior Communications Coordinator
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is seeking a motivated individual that will execute and support promotion, marketing and advertising in the areas of internal and external communication, positioning, media relations, supplier relations, website maintenance and update, publication management, and advertising image usage. Utilizes creativity and design skills to develop and implement high-quality visuals across all print, web, YouTube and social media endeavours. This position supports the YMCA’s strategic goals, maintaining and growing its positive public image in the community.
Wage: $20 - $23/hour
Coordinate communications, help desk requests, and scheduled promotion plans related to the major special events including YMCA Strong Kids Campaign Kick Off, AGM & Volunteer Awards Event, Healthy Kids Day, Member Appreciation luncheon, Peace Awards, Thanks for Giving celebration, Staff Holiday Party, and supports all one-time events (grand openings, ground breaking, media conferences, etc.).
Responsible for influencing the design and the coordinating of invitations and promotions regarding the yearly events.
Able to participate as part of the editorial team in all communications initiatives as determined by YMCA strategic priorities.
Ensure that the YMCA follows ethical and accepted communication practices and that the YMCA standards are met on all communication projects.
Educate staff and suppliers concerning YMCA graphic standards including colour palette, layout, typography, and proper use of logos.
Maintain relationships with various suppliers to meet the needs of the communications department.
Responsible for visual elements associated with the YMCA, and ensures that all visuals adhere to the brand guidelines, working closely with all leadership staff including Housing, Child Care and the Health, Fitness & Aquatics centres for a variety of visual production initiatives.
Demonstrate and promote a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values and the YMCA programs and services (including that we have been an entirely non-profit charitable organization for 107 years in Edmonton).
- Education/Certifications/Credentials/Professional Registration
- Post-Secondary education in the areas of Graphic Design, Media Relations, Public Relations, Marketing or Communications preferred.
- Creative portfolio including samples of web sites, social media, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Police Information Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Experience working with a variety of suppliers in the special event and communications industry.
- Experience with project management, desktop publishing, supplier development and communications/marketing plans.
- Ability to use or learn cameras, sound equipment, and video cameras for events (ability to optimize and upload photos, audio and videos is required).
- Skilled with a variety of computer programs including Word, Excel, HTML, the Adobe Creative Suite and Website Content Management Systems. Comfortable with InDesign and Photoshop (applicants may be tested).
- At ease with social media networking support: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
- Knowledge of web page and print practice as well as universal design principles.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Able to work with little or no supervision, ability to direct and motivate staff and volunteers as needed, and be a very strong team player.
- Be able to manage competing and evolving priorities – position requires strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently, handle numerous projects concurrently, and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
Applications will remain open until August 15, 2014
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is an inclusive, charitable organization that values diversity.